The Disney Reggae Club album puts a refreshing twist on classic songs from our favorite Disney movies. From the Lion King to the Jungle Book to The Little Mermaid you will be reliving Disney memories with flavor. Do not be fooled, this isn’t just music for little kids. If you are a fan of Disney movies and their music or even just a reggae enthusiast you will be impressed with the authenticity and feel of each track. If you are neither of those, well you are in luck because chances are high that you’ll still find this worth listening to.
One concern prior to listening to the album was the fear of these classic songs being completely butchered from the original composition. I was pleasantly surprised that though each artist put in their own special touch to each song the original foundation was still kept intact.
Disney Reggae Club features reggae legends Ziggy Marley, UB40, Burning Spear, Toots & The Maytals, Sly & Robbie, Matisyahu and more. The first single, “Circle of Life” performed by Matisyahu is definitely one of the stand out tracks on here. Michael G & the Easy Star All-Stars remake of “Ev’rybody Wants To Be A Cat” is fun filled ska goodness. Other notable tracks include, “The Bare Necessities” performed by Steel Pulse, the upbeat “True to Your Heart” performed by The Wailing Souls, and “I Wan’na Be Like You” performed by UB40. The arrangements on all of the songs are so natural it’s a wonder why this wasn’t made sooner.
Your only complaint will be that the music ends way too soon. Whether you are young at heart, want to experience your youth all over again (or bring it to your kids) or just want some chill reggae/dub/ska beats, The Disney Reggae Club CD is perfect for your summer fun.
The Disney Reggae Club – Tracklist
- “Circle of Life” (from “The Lion King”) Performed by Matisyahu
- “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” (from “The Lion King”) Performed by Cedella Marley
- “The Bare Necessities” (from “The Jungle Book”) Performed by Steel Pulse
- “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” (Desmond Dekker’s reggae classic also featured in “The Lion King”) Performed by Morgan Heritage
- “What a Wonderful World” (Louis Armstrong classic) Performed by Ziggy Marley
- “True to Your Heart” (from “Mulan”) Performed by The Wailing Souls
- “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” (from “Toy Story) Performed by Sly & Robbie
- “Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah” (from “Song of the South”) Performed by Toots & the Maytals
- “I Wan’na Be Like You” (from “The Jungle Book”) Performed by UB40
- “Ev’rybody Wants to Be a Cat” (from “The Aristocats”) Performed by Michael G & the Easy Star All-Stars
- “Kiss The Girl” (from “The Little Mermaid”) Performed by Burning Spear
- “Under The Sea” (from “The Little Mermaid”) Performed by Gregory Isaacs
- “Find Yourself” (from “Cars”) Performed by Yellowman